Sunday, October 12, 2014

Welcome


So, here's the plan: my dad and I want to hike the Camino de Santiago. For those who haven't heard of it the Camino is a centuries-old pilgrimage, originally religious in nature. The belief is that Saint James the Apostle was buried along the road, which stretches across Spain's Basque territory. The Camino (also called The Way or The Way of Saint James) has many starting points across Europe, but the route we're planning on taking begins at Saint Jean Pied de Port, which lies on the French side of the Pyrenees. The distance from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago spans approximately 500 miles, which we anticipate should take us about six weeks to complete.

My dad and I hatched this plan about a year and a half ago, and since I moved back to California a year ago we've made a point to hike at least once a week. Earlier today as I was taking pictures in the Marin Headlands I realized it might be neat to keep a blog of our hikes. So that's the idea. I'll post pictures (probably a couple of times a week since I usually take too many for one blog post) from each week's hike, and will also include the location, distance and anything else worth noting. From here on out the goal is for the blog to mostly be photographs, both mine and my dad's.

The cast of characters from week to week mostly includes:
My dad:
                 

Me:







And occasionally my dad's dog, Desi:


Further characters will be introduced as they come into play. Alright- that's the gist. Some photos from today's hike in the Marin Headlands should be up later tonight or tomorrow.

Until then,
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment